Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Wolf puppies are pretty amazing things. In the past week, spending every moment with these four little critters beyond a total of five hours, my life has changed and my comprehension of a lot has also been affected.
Perhaps what is so amazing is to look at of them, grey balls of fluff, clear blue eyes, and perfect pad-marked feet, as they whimper and whine, sucking at a bottle and occasionally licking my lips in an effort to get me to regurgitate food, and think of how much they are going to change in the coming weeks, months, years… In six months time, each one of the cubs will have clear yellow eyes, remnants of baby blue faded beyond sight anymore. There coloration will have lightened, almost to a pure white. Their feet will be large, the pads tainted by a life of frolicking and running, and at least one will bare a battle scar of a sibling spat. They will grow to be no less than 70 lbs, and some, even by six months may be larger. They will no longer whimper to the sound of a blender, and I will no longer be able to simply scoop them up when they are getting into something they shouldn’t.
Even for someone who has worked with wolves, and day in and day out dealt with the phone calls and emails from people who have attempted to domesticate them as pets, it is difficult to hold such a sweet ball of fluff and refrain from thoughts such as, “Ah, they will always be this sweet, lovable, and docile.” New volunteers and visitors that come through have looked at these innocent cubs and had thoughts or utterances of how sweet they are. When we make mention of hoping one of them will be an ambassador for us, little do people truly understand how rare of a happening this will be. Time and time again, we find ourselves thinking that if a wolf is raised around people, raised like any dog, that when they mature, they will act the same. Even after explaining this over and over again, it is still hard for me to remember that this is not the case.
To some, this is a depressing thought. That, no matter how much love, affection and dedication I give to this animal, he will never be a loyal, trustworthy companion. For me, this may be perhaps the most amazing revelations I’ve been blessed with.
Sometimes, when I hold Sabine in my arms, her small body, so dependent on me, I begin day dreaming about the beautiful wolf she will someday develop into. I think of looking back at this day, her limp body cuddled on my chest, and remembering the hours spent with her. Someday, she may bless me with a kiss upon entering her enclosure, and exhibit excitement when I bring her breakfast, however, she will never again depend on me the way she does now. She will never exhibit the loyalty that my own dog, Nakita, has shown me. She will not patiently wait for me to take her for a walk, or play with her. She will not depend on me for enrichment and attention. Some days, she may not even acknowledge me, and when I am present in her enclosure, she will not respect me as an “owner,” she will look at me as simply another member of the pack. And someday, perhaps what is most difficult to believe, she may decide that she will be the alpha, and dominate me completely unprovoked from anything. If she needs to take a trip to the vet, I will not be able to simply “scoop her up,” and perhaps I will not even be able to leash her or kennel her. She too, even being bottle raised by humans, may become a dangerous animal when she matures. She will have her own agenda, a lack of fear of humans, and now, a pack mentality that includes us in its rituals.
All six of the puppies scamper up to a newcomer for attention right now. They want scratched and cuddled and anxiously await the gift of formula or baby food. Within only a few weeks, however, the fear will begin to take form, and we will see one or more hiding behind chairs or their siblings when new arrivals enter. When they are fully mature, some of them may only trust their original caretakers, if even them.
Currently, the small dominance displays that are shown between littermates are fascinating and endearing. When they mature, however, members of the litter may have to be removed from the original pack. The aggression may heighten and an omega may e at the receiving end of too much.
Watching them chase people’s feet, tare up bags of baby wipes and chew on shoes is currently amusing, however, when they have grown to full size and begin doing the same things as well as exploring new items like couches and chairs etc., it will not be as endearing, and for some, they’re playfulness may be the very reason they cannot be ambassadors. A puppy who climbs in your lap and licks at your face is cute. A wolf that does the same is over-bearing and in some cases even dangerous. I watch them develop, hour by hour… I’ve watched their ears raise from floppy to upright. I’ve seen them grow a full pound in only three days. I’ve seen Thunder begin scraping his feet at the ground after urinating, already utilizing the scent glands in his paws. I’ve watched as the puppies decided my bed is their territory, and thus, have decided this is the prime urination area. I’ve seen Thunder and Storm begin sparring, heads and tails raised high, ears clenched tightly together and back on the head, and a stern look of dominance in both of their eyes as one’s head is placed over the other. I’ve seen the first signs of fear as Sugar ran under the desk when the door to the office was abruptly opened. It’s an amazing experience to watch them grow day by day… And I can only imagine what will come in the future.